He that writes to himself writes to an eternal public. -Emerson

Monday, April 12, 2010

Bearing up with Baby

Talia, right before Felix's birth:
 

Me, likewise:
Whoo hoo!  Were we ready then? More urgently, are we ready now?

And urgent it is:  Talia, at her penultimate doctor's visit a few days ago, was informed that the baby is now predicted to arrive a week early, namely 24 April. I wouldn't have put much stock in this had Talia herself not also commented that "the baby is ready."  She said this in the exact tones of the possessed child in "Poltergeist," as though channeling the baby--or rather, "The Baby"--itself.

Although I don't think she meant to scare me, I nevertheless leaped into action and immediately start turning the house upside down in search of her Camelbak water system, the one absolute requirement for intensive work of this kind (or so I am instructed).  So far it eludes me, and neither you nor Talia are surprised, though you, at least, have not sweetly threatened to go out and buy another one if it doesn't turn up very soon, and I thank you for your confidence in me.

More successfully, we have sorted through four giant boxes of baby clothes which, if nothing else, served as a helpful, even exciting, reminder of just how tiny, and soft, newborns are.  We have located all of the pram parts, disinfected them where necessary, and aside from inflating the tires we are ready to roll.  This week:  further preparation of hospital bags (now resident in the station wagon) and start to get more specific with Felix about our plan to suddenly abandon him--possibly while he's at school, possibly while he's asleep, possibly in the middle of the day--while we go get the baby out; as you may imagine, it's not an altogether easy thing to explain.

The crib to be borrowed should arrive tomorrow and I made room for it today.  We are discussing announcements with printers.  And yes, we have chosen names.

Ready?  You bet we're not.

2 comments:

  1. looks to me that one doesn't get much readier...Explain to me how a doctor predicts that the baby will come a week earlier than predicted? Tarot? Constellations? Come on Shuldies, you've been there and done it! piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FOUND THE CAMELBAK! Now we're ready.

    "Week early" was based on the latest sonogram, I guess the size (larger than FM was at birth, not that that's huge or anything) or maybe the teeny sign the baby was holding up that said "Let Me Out." Anyway, T now tells me the earlier estimate was more likely the accurate one, so I suppose we'll be going all the way with this one too.

    ReplyDelete