He that writes to himself writes to an eternal public. -Emerson

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bed

I built a bed.  It was an enormous pain in the butt.  Took me weeks.  Seemed like every time I was ready to do the last critical bit of construction someone (not even always the same someone) was asleep in it.  Various elements had to be rebuilt two or three or even four times.  Got sick in the middle of the building process and stayed that way.  Initial test resulted in structural failure.  Certain areas are hidden from view and must stay that way.  And I won't actually be done until we decide to move and take it apart for shipment, at which time I'll sand and oil the parts before reassembly at a new location.


Made using all local materials, most of which were actually local to our garage.  Made without buying any new tools (only borrowings and what I found in the shed).  Only required one car trip (good thing there's a lumber yard within walking distance for the two extra wood-fetching errands I ended up taking, both, embarrassingly, on the same day).  Didn't mismeasure anything.  Cost about $200.  I guess I'm really quite happy with it.  Are you?

3 comments: