He that writes to himself writes to an eternal public. -Emerson

Friday, May 20, 2011

Happy Birthday, Talia

Is there cake or shall I stop at wf to get some? I have no issue with doing that...

From: Talia Cell
3:02pm 5/20/11
Even a single-line message offers an opportunity to read between the lines.  Allow me to translate:
You failed to make anything much of Mother's Day or even to ensure that the kids did, you yourself don't care for cake and are probably assuming that having a birthday cake at my birthday BBQ on Sunday is all the birthday cake I require anyway, and in general, dear husband, you've been kind of botching it lately, so in an effort to ensure that I don't end up entirely depressed on my own birthday I am hopefully shaming you into finding a cake in the next couple of hours or, failing that--and I do mean failing--I will attempt to shame you in a more substantive and permanent fashion by actually bringing home my own cake on my own birthday and eating it alone in what will hereafter be called "my" bed with my headphones on while watching America's Top Pastry Chef and you can finish raising the children by yourself.
 Gotcha!




Before I get too smug, it occurs to me that I did not think to arrange a cake for the birthday BBQ tomorrow....

3 comments:

  1. twas a completely awesome surprise. And for the record, I really had no issue at all with stopping at the wf to pick up cake.

    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you read my blog, I'm so embarrassed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to see such joy on your face talia! happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete