He that writes to himself writes to an eternal public. -Emerson

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Sinterklas


Sinterklas is here! Well, he was at the kids' school, along with his faithful not-quite-blackface helper, Piet, and, if you look closely, Gid. If you aren't familiar with this Dutch tradition, look it up. If you are, then you will not be surprised to learn I wrote a gedichtje:
Gid, you learn languages so quick
Tell me, boy, what is your trick?
Perhaps you should learn another
Then you'll have one more way to insult your brother
De Sint can speak with you in het Nederlands
Because I read you stories starring Poppejans

Felix, is there anything you can't ride?
I've seen you on both horseback and bike astride
Flying hands-free and unlit in the dark
Terrifying the other riders in the Vondelpark
But I think your very best trick
Was riding the length of the Englischer Garten while sick

Talia, you're the real superstar
Planning everything near and far
Choosing schools, baking cakes
And making sure we get the best interest rates
Most impressive though to me
Was your cooking not just one but two turkeys

Family, you are totally bad ass
Which is why I'm so happy to be with you on our first Sinterklas

No comments:

Post a Comment