He that writes to himself writes to an eternal public. -Emerson

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Washing dishes


We rented our current apartment in some haste:  it was too good a deal to pass up.  But in our haste we failed to notice that the kitchen contained neither a dishwasher nor space to hold one.  Fortunately, I have a history of washing dishes by hand--five years in a primitively-equipped cooperative taught me to like it--and the kitchen sink is both capacious and well-situated, so really I have nothing to complain of.  (Well, almost nothing:  the sink is too low, along with the kitchen counter, as is inevitably the case in old houses.  Are we really descended from a race of dwarfs?)  In fact, it makes me feel powerfully virtuous somehow, and this despite the fact that even with care hand washing is more wasteful--of water, of soap, and especially of dishes, five of which I broke in one enormous smashup last night--than automatic.

A friend of mine informs me that his father has always refused to allow a dishwasher in the house on the grounds that the washing/drying process guarantees a time for conversation between parent/washer and child/dryer.  I think of this every time I do a sinkful, and I wonder.  Washing is noisy and yet peaceful, more contemplative than conversational.  I'm not sure I'd want to share it, nor the virtue that attends it.  And besides, with a sufficiently capacious drying rack, drying is simply make-work.

One thing is constant between the two methods:  for some reason, dishwasher or drying rack, I just can't stand emptying.

3 comments:

  1. My dad used the same excuse for not replacing our dishing washer when it broke down. So I've had quite some practice. But to be honest, besides on holidays, I never wash dishes by hand (except for wine and champagne glasses)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny, we don't have a dishwasher (but will certainly buy one when I grow up) but like to spend our holidays in places where there is one available

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days, though, it gets to be too much of a good thing.

    ReplyDelete